Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The real startup cost of FPV Quadcopter Racing: Starting from scratch



We've all heard of the camera drones on the news and of their increasing popularity. I had no interest in multi-rotor copters until some videos started showing up on my news feeds from people named Charpu and Skitzo. Just like you, I thought that this was some really cool stuff... flying around like Superman or like you are riding a Star Wars speeder bike. This makes me want to sell my nitro RC cars. I went ahead and bought a toy grade quad with FPV (XK X250) to make sure I wanted to get into this hobby. 

So the interest was there, but how much does it all cost. I saw stuff like Fatshark goggles costing close to $500 and got deterred pretty quickly. This was just too expensive. Then I started to find out about these Chinese websites that seem to sell directly from the factories over there. Yeah, all the individual parts can be cheap, but it will all add up really fast.

My quadcopter (pictured above) is now in a flying state. Everything is working, I just need to tune it. In choosing parts, I realized that you have to research each and every component. I might go into the parts in another post. Today is about realizing all of the parts, accessories, and tools that you will need to get started. 

I've kept track of all the money that I spent on this hobby so far. In the following spreadsheet, you will notice that I don't have motors listed. This is because a friend of mine hooked me up. I also put a few notes next to the description of some parts.





2 comments:

  1. Yup, this is a really addictive hobby, thus, an expensive one! It really is cool being able to fly your quad and at the same time have the FPV that gives you the feeling you are in the Star Wars speeder chase :) However, you need to get yourself familiar with all the things related to this hobby, and the best way is to look for owner experiences and high-quality articles that talk about FPV racing. One of them can be found here: http://mydronelab.com/best-pick/fpv-quadcopters.html

    ReplyDelete